- 1/2 lb. bulk Fortuna’s sausage (hot or sweet) 1/2 cup chopped onion 1/2 cup chopped green pepper 1/2 cup chopped red pepper 2 cups bread crumbs 1/2 stick unsalted butter 1/2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce 4 Tbsp. Sambuca (or similar liquorice flavoring) 48 fresh littleneck clams (or 24 oysters) of similar size
- Fry sausage until it just crumbles and set aside.
- Melt butter in a frying pan, add onion and peppers and saute for 3 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs and Sambuca and mix well.
- Open shellfish and save as much juice as possible. Return each meat to its shell and place level on a GreatGrate (or on another grilling grate). Be sure to leave as much juice as possible in each shell so that during the cooking process, each clam or oyster will poach in its own juices with the seasonings.
- Insert a crumble or two of sausage in each shell, then top each clam or oyster with the bread crumb mixture.
- Place the entire GreatGrate or other grilling grate on your grill (or in a heated 425-degree oven on a sheet pan), and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until the juices boil.
- Remove entire grate from heat and serve. Lemon wedges, hot sauce and cold beer are good accompaniments.
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)